Sunday, April 1, 2012

The past 4 months in Wolfowl77 gaming, a short review

For the past 4 odd months I've got one word for you...






With a healthy sprinkling of . . .

Oh yeah baby. Since I've stopped allowing Runes of Magic to dominate my game play I've learned some of the wonders and joy of Steam. I created the account a couple of years ago, and I even had a couple of games, but in the past several months (thanks to sales and the extreme generosity of a few friends) my Steam library has exploded into 73 games. (currently) And I honestly don't know how I'm going to find the time to play most of them!

One thing Steam is very good at is introducing gamers to the growing Indie game market. (see above) With prices ranging from a couple of bucks to around $15 and a growing library chances are there's an Indie game available on Steam to match any budget and gaming tastes. And they're not shy about advertising for these games, marketing the tower defense game Dungeon Defenders right up there with mega-games like Skyrim and Medal of Honor.

And Steam has just been perfect for myself and a small circle of carry-over friends from my RoM guild, The Black Tower. I'd love to add more from the guild, but most are still dedicated to RoM and aren't as interested in branching out into other games as I am. But with all the multiplayer options we have, we never lack for anything to play together on a given night. Hell, most nights it's hard to pick a game!

Recently we've been playing Borderlands, a post-apocalyptic shooter/rpg that allows up to 4 players to play together in co-op to complete missions and murder, er I mean pacify!,  hundreds of bandits and monsters on the world of Pandora.

Take that you damn dirty . . . WTF are you!\




The games humor and sheer numbers of random weapons to loot, combined with a unique art style make the game a fun pastime to kill a few hours (not to mention those dirty stinking bandits!) with some friends. And since our numbers on Steam are small, 4 player games are just perfect for us. Toss in some vehicles and some god-awful driving (Seriously Nick, this one's for you!) and you've got the right recipe for group play.

For my personal pvp tastes I now often enjoy the thrill that is Team Fortress 2, a now F2P game available via Steam. I've rarely had such random fun playing a game online. In the words of my favorite class, the pyro, "MMMMPH!"

Medic!

No comments:

Post a Comment