Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In Memoriam?

I don't understand the recent fad of putting "In Memory of.." stickers or decals on cars and car windows.

So your attempt at honoring a loved one is plastering their name all over your P.O.S. car? How much is that memory going to be worth when you decide it's time to buy a new vehicle and sell that one? How honored to you really think that person is to be remembered in that way, with an entirely temporary device?

This follows in line with all the roadside memorials you see where someone had an accident and lost their life. Yes, the loss of life is terrible, but do you really want to remember where someone died? Or the fact of their death?

For me personally I'd rather remember how someone lived, and treasure the memories that I have shared with that person. A marker on the side of the road, or a cheesy sticker on a windshield, would simply cheapen those memories and remind me more of how they died, rather then how they lived.

You want to remember me? Then remember me dammit! Don't insult me with some temporary decal that's going to be scraped off later, or a marker of where I died. How I die is of little importance to me, how I choose to live makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment